|Cyrus Pallonji Mistry Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||July 4, 1968|
|Date of Death||September 4, 2022|
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry was an Indian businessperson who served as the chairperson of the Tata Group from 2012 to 2016. He had served as the chairperson of Tata companies including Tata Industries, Tata Steel, Tata Motors, Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Power, Tata Teleservices, Indian Hotels, Tata Global Beverages, and Tata Chemicals. The son of billionaire construction tycoon Pallonji Mistry, Cyrus Mistry started working as a director at the family construction company Shapoorji Pallonji & Co. Ltd in 1991. He was named “the most important industrialist in both India and Britain” by The Economist in a 2013 article.
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry
He was born on July 4, 1968.
On September 4, 2022, Cyrus Pallonji Mistry died at the age of 54 in a car accident in Palghar, Maharastra, India.
Bombay (later Mumbai), Maharashtra, India
He resided in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry studied at Cathedral & John Connon School in South Mumbai. Afterward, he attended Imperial College London and received a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Civil Engineering from the University of London in 1990.
Later, he studied at London Business School and was awarded an International Executive Master’s degree in management from the University of London in 1996.
- Father – Pallonji Shapoorji Mistry (June 1, 1929 – June 28, 2022) (Businessperson, Construction Tycoon)
- Mother – Pat “Patsy” Perin Dubash
- Siblings – Shapoor Mistry (Older Brother) (Has managed the Shapoorji Pallonji Group), Laila Mistry (Older Sister), Aloo Mistry (Sister)
- Others – Shapoorji Mistry (Paternal Grandfather) (Businessperson, Founder of the Shapoorji Pallonji Group), Noel Naval Tata (Brother-In-Law, Aloo’s Husband) (Businessperson) (Half-Brother of Ratan Tata), Behroze Sethna (Sister-In-Law, Shapoor’s Wife), Rustom Jehangir (Brother-In-Law, Laila’s Husband) (London-based Portfolio Fund Manager)
According to Bloomberg, his net worth was $29 billion at the time of his death.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry had dated –
- Rohiqa Mistry – He was married to Rohiqa Mistry (née Chagla) (the daughter of lawyer Iqbal Chagla and granddaughter of jurist M.C. Chagla). The couple had 2 sons named Firoz Mistry and Zahan Mistry. Cyrus and Rohiqa Mistry remained together until his sudden death in 2022.
Race / Ethnicity
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry was of Parsi descent on his father’s side.
Used to wear glasses
Cyrus Pallonji Mistry Facts
- In 2012, he became the 6th chairperson of the Tata Group, and only the 2nd (after Nowroji Saklatwala) not to bear the surname “Tata”.
- On October 24, 2016, the Tata Sons Board voted to remove Mistry as the chairperson of Tata Sons.
- He was reinstated as the Chairperson of Tata Sons for his remaining term in 2019 by the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal. Later, Mistry announced that he will not return as the chairperson of Tata Sons but would be interested in reserving his seat on the company’s board.
- Cyrus Pallonji Mistry had Irish citizenship and was a permanent resident of India (having acquired Overseas Citizenship of India). As per a news report in The Independent, Mistry viewed himself as a global citizen.
- He died in a car crash on September 4, 2022, when he was traveling from Ahmedabad to Mumbai with 3 members of the Pandole family. Reportedly, the group of 4 had visited the Iranshah Atash Behram at Udvada to offer prayers following the deaths of Dinshaw Pandole and Pallonji Mistry. While on their way back to Mumbai, the Mercedes car they were traveling in crashed into a road divider in Palghar on a bridge over the Surya river.
- It was later reported that Cyrus Mistry and Jehangir Pandole were sitting in the back seat and were not wearing seat belts. The two were declared dead while the other two, Dr. Anahita Pandole and her husband Darius Pandole, were hospitalized with serious injuries.
Featured Image by News on Air / Government of India / Government Open Data License – India (GODL)