|Danny Wood Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||May 14, 1969|
Danny Wood is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, and actor who is popular for being a part of the musical group New Kids on the Block. The generation-defining boy band was formed in 1984 and received huge fanfare in the late 80s and early 90s. However, in 1994, the band members decided to split up in order to focus on their respective careers. During this time, Danny worked on his solo career as a musician, wrote songs, and produced records for other artists. NKOTB reunited for their 2nd innings in 2007 and have performed for their fans at sold-out venues all over the world. Danny regularly connects with his online fanbase of more than 200k followers on Instagram and Twitter.
Daniel William Wood
Danny, Puff, D:Fuse
Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States
Miami, Florida, United States
Danny studied at the William Monroe Trotter School and later Copley High School (renamed Snowden International School) in Boston. While being bused to school every day, he met fellow student Donnie Wahlberg, with whom he shared a common love of rap music.
Danny always excelled in academics and, after completing high school, was offered a 4-year scholarship to Boston University. At that time, Danny was newly recruited to New Kids on the Block and struggled to balance his studies and his musical ambitions. He later chose to discontinue his studies and focus full-time on the band.
Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Record Producer
- Father – Daniel Wood Sr. (Mail Carrier with the U.S. Postal Service)
- Mother – Elizabeth A. Betty (née Lopes) (Administrative Assistant) (Died from Breast cancer in 1999)
- Siblings – Bethany Wood (Sister), Melissa Wood (Sister), Pam Wood (Sister), Rachel Wood (Sister), Brett Wood (Younger Brother) (Business Analyst)
Along with other members from New Kids on the Block, he is managed by Jared Paul.
Pop, R&B, Rock, Electronic
Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
- Interscope Records
- Columbia Records
- BMG Distribution
- CBS Records
- The Block/Boston Five
- Damage Records
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Danny Wood has dated –
- Halle Berry (1989) – In 1989, the famous singer was involved with actress Halle Berry. The Oscar-winning actress is known for films like Die Another Day, Monster’s Ball, and Catwoman.
- Elise Stepherson (1990-1993) – Danny began dating hairdresser Elise Stepherson in 1990. The couple welcomed a son, Daniel William Wood Jr. on October 3, 1992. By the next year in 1993, however, the couple had decided to go their separate ways. After splitting up, the ex-couple fought for their son’s sole custody rights for a few years but ultimately agreed on joint custody in 1999.
- Patricia Alfaro (1996-2006) – Miami songwriter Patricia Alfaro first locked eyes with Danny at an Orlando music studio in 1996. They dated for 1 year and got married on December 7, 1997. Patricia gave birth to a baby girl, Vega Maxine Wood on March 19, 1999. Furthermore, the couple became parents to Chance Sophia Wood (b. May 8, 1998), an infant girl they adopted from Russia. Danny also became stepfather to Anthony, Alfaro’s son from her previous marriage. However, by 2005, their relationship had strained and they got officially divorced in 2006.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish ancestry on his father’s side and is of Portuguese descent on his mother’s side.
- Crossed eyes
- Several tattoos on his body including a dragon on his left shoulder, a combination of the Portuguese and Irish national flags on his left arm, Christ on a cross on his right arm, and a cross on his stomach with his mom’s name Elizabeth under it
Danny Wood has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Cottonelle’s ‘Go Commando’ campaign (with New Kids on the Block)
- Shedd Aquarium
- Sol Box Fitness Club
- UFC Gym North Miami
- Bang Energy Drinks
- Happy Place
- Matcha Green Tea
Best Known For
Being one of the 5 members of the award-winning boy band New Kids on the Block with Donnie Wahlberg, Joey McIntyre, Jonathan Knight, and Jordan Knight
- With New Kids on the Block –
His band released their debut album, aptly titled New Kids on the Block in 1986.
- With NKOTBSB (New Kids on the Block + Backstreet Boys) –
Their debut album, NKOTBSB was released in 2011 and included a compilation of past hits from both the boy bands.
- As D:Fuse –
In 1999, Danny released his debut album Room Full Of Smoke under the pseudonym D:Fuse.
- As a solo artist –
Under his own name, he released his debut album titled Second Face in 2003.
In 2001, Danny made his theatrical film debut as a ‘Sound Guy’ in the comedy-drama Thank You, Good Night.
First TV Show
Danny made his first TV show appearance in 1989, on the variety entertainment show The All-New Mickey Mouse Club with his bandmates from New Kids on the Block.
Danny, the fittest member of the group, shared his workout routine with his fans on Instagram in 2019. The singer trained twice a day at 2 separate gyms; the UFC Gym and Sol Box Fitness Club in Miami. Firstly, he would spend 30-60 mins doing HIIT workout on the treadmill, 30 minutes doing strength training (legs, shoulders, abs, chest), and 10 minutes of stretching at the UFC Gym. He would also visit the Sol Box Fitness Club and practice boxing for 90-140 mins and do 100 reps of straight hanging leg raises.
In 2014, Danny participated in the Boston Marathon with fellow bandmate Joey McIntyre and covered the distance of 26 miles in 3 hours and 50 minutes.
Danny Wood Favorite Things
- Food – Popcorn
Source – DailyPress.com
Danny Wood Facts
- He and fellow bandmate Donnie Wahlberg are childhood friends. Wahlberg, who was the first member to be selected by manager Maurice Starr, encouraged Danny to audition for the band as well.
- The 2 boys along with some other friends formed a band called the Kool Aid Bunch in high school. The young group performed at local parties.
- Danny was very athletic in school and played sports like soccer and basketball. He also excelled in track.
- Danny is a skilled dancer, especially in breakdance, and was part of a breakdancing troupe in Boston in his youth. He has also helped choreograph for his current band NKOTB.
- The first music record that Danny owned was Let’s Dance (1983) by David Bowie.
- Fans of the band are lovingly known as ‘Blockheads’.
- New Kids on the Block was initially known as ‘Nynuk’. NKOTB was taken from the title a rap song on their debut album after Columbia Records turned down the original name.
- Danny launched the Remember Betty Foundation after his mother passed away from breast cancer in September 1999. The foundation offers financial support for people, and their families, affected with breast cancer. Additionally, his dedicated fans (Blockheads) have organized various fundraising events through the years in honor of Danny’s mother Betty.
- His sister Bethany was also diagnosed with breast cancer in the past. Fortunately, with the advanced treatment options, she was able to make a full recovery. She has also taken over from her brother as the director of Remember Betty.
- While performing in Manchester during their UK tour in 1990, Danny slipped onstage on a toy car, thrown by a fan, and hurt his ankle. He subsequently returned to America for treatment.
- Danny is passionate about cooking. He regularly shares his favorite dishes, cooked for his family and kids, on social media.
- Almost 13 years after splitting up in 1994, Danny and the boys reunited in 2007.
- Danny and other members from New Kids on the Block received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on October 9, 2014.
- He collaborated with country singer Jessie Chris on the single, Bodyguard in 2019. As of July 2019, the song, which focuses on the issue of bullying, will be donating a portion of its sales to anti-bullying programs.
- He has a pet dog named Ripley of the Toy Fox Terrier breed.
- Visit his band’s official website @ nkotb.com.
- Follow Danny Wood on Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Isabelle / Wikimedia / Public Domain