|Dorothy Gish Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||March 11, 1898|
|Date of Death||June 4, 1968|
Dorothy Gish was an American actor, stage artist, director, and writer who emerged as a major movie star of the silent era, alongside her older sister Lillian Gish. She was cast in many films including The Cardinal, London, The Whistle at Eaton Falls, Wolves, Tip Toes, Madame Pompadour, Centennial Summer, The Beautiful City, Ben-Hur, Remodeling Her Husband, Romola, Peppy Polly, Orphans of the Storm, Flying Pat, Fury, The Country Flapper, The Bright Shawl, Clothes Make the Pirate, The Musketeers of Pig Alley, My Baby, Nell Gwyn, Stage Struck, I’ll Get Him Yet, Boots, Nobody Home, The Hope Chest, The Little School Ma’am, Jordan Is a Hard Road, Two Daughters of Eve, The Children of the Feud, The Hun Within, The Little Yank, Hearts of the World, Red Hicks Defies the World, Oil and Water, The Lady and the Mouse, The Vengeance of Galora, The Rebellion of Kitty Belle, and Almost a Wild Man. For her contributions to the motion picture industry, Dorothy Gish was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6385 Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles in 1960.
Dorothy Elizabeth Gish
She was born on March 11, 1898.
On June 4, 1968, Dorothy Gish died from bronchial pneumonia at the age of 70 at a clinic in Rapallo, Italy.
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Actor, Stage Artist, Director, Writer
- Father – James Leigh Gish (Traveling Salesman)
- Mother – Mary Robinson McConnell (Former Actor, Department Store Clerk, Owner of a Candy and Catering Business)
- Siblings – Lillian Gish (Older Sister) (Actor, Stage Artist, Director, Writer)
- Others – David Edwin Gish (Paternal Grandfather), Diana Caroline Waltz (Paternal Grandmother), Henry C. McConnell (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Ellen Robinson (Maternal Grandmother), Grant Gish (Paternal Uncle)
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
50 kg or 110 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Dorothy Gish had dated –
- Julian Rivero – She was once romantically involved with actor Julian Rivero.
- Robert Harron – Dorothy Gish was also linked with actor Robert Harron who died at the age of 27.
- James Malachi Rennie – She started dating Canadian actor James Malachi Rennie after they met while working on the 1920 silent comedy film Remodeling Her Husband. They eloped to Greenwich, Connecticut in December 1920 and married in a double wedding ceremony in which Gish’s friend, actor Constance Talmadge, also married Greek businessperson John Pialoglou. James and Dorothy later divorced in 1935.
- Fred Marsh – RUMOR
Race / Ethnicity
Dorothy Gish was of German, Scottish, and English descent.
Dorothy Gish Facts
- Her father abandoned the family in New York and Dorothy and Lillian were raised by their mother.
- Dorothy Gish co-starred as Sister of Payne’s Sweetheart in the 1914 silent biographical drama film Home, Sweet Home.
- In 1914, she experienced a near-fatal accident in Los Angeles on Thanksgiving Day as she was hit by a “racing automobile”.
- She appeared as Celia Fermoyle in the 1963 drama film The Cardinal and this was her last film role.
- Many of her films are considered to be lost films.
- Her sister was at her bedside at the time of Dorothy’s death and her ashes were entombed in Saint Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church in New York City in the columbarium in the undercroft of the church.
Featured Image by Unknown Author / eBay / Public Domain