|Elizabeth McGovern Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||July 18, 1961|
Elizabeth McGovern is an American actor, musician, writer, producer, and voice actor. She has been cast in a wide variety of movies including Ragtime, Once Upon a Time in America, The Bedroom Window, Lovesick, Racing with the Moon, She’s Having a Baby, Johnny Handsome, Native Son, The Handmaid’s Tale, A Shock to the System, Me and Veronica, King of the Hill, Ashenden, The Favor, The Wings of the Dove, The Man with Rain in His Shoes, The House of Mirth, Buffalo Soldiers, Clash of the Titans, Cheerful Weather for the Wedding, Woman in Gold, Unexpected, Showing Roots, The Commuter, The Wife, Tales from Hollywood, Downton Abbey, Downton Abbey: A New Era, Women & Men: Stories of Seduction, The Summer of Ben Tyler, Broken Glass, Broken Trust, Thursday the 12th, Clover, The Flamingo Rising, A Room with a View, and Daphne. In addition to that, she has also been cast in television roles like Cora, Countess of Grantham in the historical drama series Downton Abbey, Jessie Kent in the CBS sitcom If Not for You, Lady Marguerite Blakeney in the drama series The Scarlet Pimpernel, Laura Davis in the sci-fi dramedy Three Moons over Milford, Helen Brown in the sci-fi mystery drama series War of the Worlds, Elizabeth in the comedy series Freezing, and Helen Shaw in the drama series The Brotherhood of Poland, New Hampshire.
Elizabeth Lee McGovern
Evanston, Illinois, United States
Chiswick, West London, England, United Kingdom
Elizabeth showcased her flair for acting in her school plays at North Hollywood High. She completed her graduation from The Oakwood School.
While she was pursuing her graduation, from The Juilliard School in New York, she was offered a role in the film “Ordinary People” in 1980.
She went forward with her stage training at the American Conservatory Theatre in San Francisco and completed her graduation in drama from The Juilliard School in New York.
Actor, Musician, Writer, Producer, Voice Actor
- Father – William Montgomery McGovern, Jr. (Law Professor)
- Mother – Katharine Wolcott (née Watts) (High School Teacher)
- Siblings – Cammie McGovern (Younger Sister) (Novelist), William Montgomery McGovern (Brother) (Math Professor)
- Others – William Montgomery McGovern (Paternal Grandfather) (Adventurer, political scientist, Northwestern University professor, anthropologist, and journalist), Margaret Montgomery (Paternal Grandmother), Ethelbert Watts, Jr. (Maternal Grandfather), Elizabeth Lee Snyder (Maternal Grandmother), Ethelbert Watts (Maternal Great-Grandfather) (U.S. diplomat), Charles P. Snyder (Maternal Great-Grandfather) (Admiral), Charles P. Snyder (Maternal Great-Great-Grandfather) (Congressman)
The following agencies have managed Elizabeth Lee McGovern –
- Tavistock Wood Management, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- United Talent Agency, Talent Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
Vocals and guitar
Sadie & The Hotheads Ltd.
Her net worth had been $4 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Elizabeth McGovern has dated –
- Timothy Hutton (1981-1982) – American actor Timothy Hutton is known for starring in films such as Ordinary People. Coincidentally, Elizabeth made her debut as his on-screen girlfriend, and soon, the couple began dating in 1981. However, their romance was short-lived, and they decided to break up in 1982.
- Sean Penn (1983-1984) – McGovern met actor, filmmaker, and political activist Sean Justin Penn on the sets of Racing with the Moon. They started dating, but later she confessed that Sean was very dramatic and she found it difficult to sustain in a relationship with so much drama. She was only 23 and at the peak of her career when she got engaged to Sean, however, the couple decided to part ways. The very same year, Sean Penn married famous pop singer Madonna which people termed as a rebound from the heartbreak with McGovern.
- Simon Curtis (1992–Present) – British film director and producer, Simon Curtis who is best known for directing the film My Week with Marilyn was the producer for the wartime drama series in which she also played a part. The two started spending a lot of time together, and eventually, the couple’s work relationship blossomed into romance. Elizabeth confessed that she always knew that she would end up with Simon. When Elizabeth was pregnant with Simon’s first baby, she decided to relocate to London. She married Simon in 1992, and the couple has two daughters Matilda and Grace.
Race / Ethnicity
Elizabeth has Scottish and English roots and traces of German lineage.
- Her dark hair
- Elizabeth’s bright blue eyes
Elizabeth has been the face of the charitable organization World Vision.
Best Known For
- Portraying the character of Evelyn Nesbit in the 1981 drama film Ragtime for which she received an Academy Award nomination in the “Best Supporting Actress” category as well as a Golden Globe Award nomination for “New Star of the Year – Actress”
- Being nominated for an Emmy Award and Golden Globe Award for her role as Lady Cora Crawley, Countess of Grantham in the British drama series Downton Abbey
Her band Sadie and the Hotheads released their first album titled Still Waiting on December 23, 2015.
Elizabeth made her theatrical debut in the drama film Ordinary People in 1980 as the character Jeannine Pratt. The film went on to win an Oscar award.
First TV Show
She made her television show debut as Lisa Bannister in the series California Fever in 1979.
Elizabeth credits her good health and physique to walking and yoga. She is also a huge fan of Pilates.
Elizabeth McGovern Favorite Things
- Word – Toodle pip
- Movies – Wild and Inside Llewyn Davis
- TV show – Mad Men
- Hobbies – Reading and sleeping
- Possession – Josef Levi painting and her guitar
- Living Personality – Keith Richards
Source – The Guardian, Boston Herald
Elizabeth McGovern Facts
- She is part of a pop band called Sadie and the Hotheads which she formed in 2008 at the age of 47 in which she sings and plays the guitar.
- Elizabeth confessed to being technologically challenged and cannot turn on the television without her children’s help.
- Her go-to snack is Greek yogurt.
- Her grandfather William McGovern was the first man of white ethnicity to enter Lhasa.
- She prefers to use public transportation and admits to being very quiet.
- She loves being tidy and neat, however, she likes to live with people who are precisely the opposite.
- McGovern has a pet dog, a Yorkshire terrier named Maisy, who is suffering from premature baldness.
- She does not prefer wearing shoes from the brand Jimmy Choo.
- She has sponsored a child who lives in Jong, Sierra Leone, whom she visited in 2014.
- Her date to her high school prom was director Todd Haynes.
- She is fond of writing and receiving letters.
- She wished to be a ballerina when she was young.
- Elizabeth confessed to suffering from stomach problems.
- She considers Kevin Spacey to be her inspiration.
- She is a fan of Taylor Swift, and so is her daughter Grace.
Featured Image by Olivier Strecker / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0