|Julia Avila Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||May 11, 1988|
Julia Avila is an American professional mixed martial artist who began competing in the bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), in 2019. As of July 2021, she was ranked number 13 in the UFC bantamweight rankings. Before joining UFC in 2019, she had put together a 6–1 win-loss record competing in several promotions including Total Warrior Combat, XKO MMA, HD MMA, King of the Cage, and Invicta FC. In January 2017, she had won the HD MMA Women’s Bantamweight Championship.
Julia Aide Avila
Los Angeles, California, United States
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Julia had graduated from the South High School in Bakersfield, California. She had then joined the University of Notre Dame, a private Catholic research university in Notre Dame, Indiana, before taking a transfer to the University of California, Santa Cruz, a public land-grant research university in Santa Cruz, California. She had graduated from there in 2010.
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
61 kg or 134.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Julia has dated –
- Cody Shumate (2015-Present) – Julia had started dating mixed martial arts coach Cody Shumate in 2015 and they got married a year later.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Mexican descent.
- Toned physique
- Center-parted, neck-length, straight hair
- Gleaming face
- Has her upper back covered in tattoos
- Has tattoos on her left thigh, left foot, and left side
Julia Avila Facts
- She had excelled in multiple sports at high school including volleyball, soccer, and track and field. She had started getting trained in mixed martial arts only in 2011, a year after graduating from the University of California, Santa Cruz. During this time, she had also worked as a geologist in Oklahoma City.
- Julia was scheduled to face Karol Rosa in October 2019, for her 2nd UFC bout. However, the bout was canceled after the latter had suffered a knee injury. It was rescheduled for April 2020 but was postponed again due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The fight was postponed to May 2020 at UFC Fight Night 174 but the entire event was moved to June 2020 due to COVID-19. The fight did go ahead at that date but Karol had been replaced by Gina Mazany. Julia had won that bout via first-round technical knockout in just 22 seconds.
- For her next bout, she had to face Nicco Montaño in August 2020 at UFC Fight Night 176. However, with the latter’s coach testing positive for COVID-19, the bout was rescheduled to UFC Fight Night 177. A few days later, Nicco had tested positive for COVID-19 and had later withdrawn from the rescheduled bout due to travel restrictions. After negotiating a new contract with the UFC, Julia had faced off against Sijara Eubanks in September 2020 at UFC Fight Night 177. She had lost the fight via unanimous decision.
- In March 2021, she was set to fight Julija Stoliarenko at UFC on ESPN 21. The fight was moved to UFC Fight Night 190 after Julija had suffered a syncopal episode on the scale. Julia had won the rescheduled fight via a rear-naked choke.
Featured Image by Julia Avila / Instagram