|Robert Shaw Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||August 9, 1927|
|Date of Death||August 28, 1978|
Robert Shaw was an English actor, stage artist, novelist, playwright, and screenwriter who started his acting career in theatre and appeared in the productions of Macbeth, Henry VIII, Cymbeline, and many other Shakespearean plays. Moreover, he was cast in various films including Custer of the West, The Birthday Party, The Royal Hunt of the Sun, Battle of Britain, Figures in a Landscape, Libel, From Russia with Love, Young Winston, A Reflection of Fear, The Luck of Ginger Coffey, Tomorrow at Ten, The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, The Valiant, The Hireling, Double Cross, Battle of the Bulge, The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, Carol for Another Christmas, The Dam Busters, The Cracksman, The Man in the Glass Booth, The Lavender Hill Mob, Jaws, End of the Game, Robin and Marian, Force 10 from Navarone, A Man for All Seasons, The Caretaker, A Hill in Korea, and Sea Fury.
Robert Archibald Shaw
He was born on August 9, 1927.
On August 28, 1978, Robert Shaw died at 51 in Tourmakeady, County Mayo, Ireland.
Westhoughton, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
He resided at Drimbawn House in Tourmakeady, County Mayo, Ireland for the last 7 years of his life.
Robert Shaw studied at Truro School located in the city of Truro, Cornwall. He later joined the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London and graduated in 1948.
Actor, Stage Artist, Novelist, Playwright, Screenwriter
- Father – Thomas Archibald Shaw (Doctor)
- Mother – Doreen Nora (née Avery) (Nurse)
- Siblings – Elisabeth (Sister), Joanna (Sister), Wendy (Sister), Alexander (Brother)
- Others – Ferdia Shaw (Grandson) (Actor), Rob Kolar (Grandson) (Singer, Songwriter, Producer, Composer, Actor)
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Robert Shaw had dated –
- Jennifer Bourke (1952-1963) – In 1952, he married his first wife Jennifer Bourke and they had 4 daughters. The couple divorced in 1963.
- Mary Ure (1963-1975) – Robert Shaw got married to Scottish stage and film actor Mary Ure in 1963 and he immediately adopted Colin (the son she gave birth to while she was married to John Osborne). Colin later said in an interview that he was Shaw’s son born during an affair while Ure was still married to Osborne. Robert Shaw and Mary Ure were blessed with 3 more children – daughters Elizabeth (b. 1963) and Hannah (b. 1965) and son Ian Shaw (b. 1969). The duo remained together until her death in 1975.
- Virginia Jansen (1976-1978) – Shaw married Virginia Jansen in 1976 and they were together until his demise in 1978. They had a son named Thomas and Shaw had also adopted her son named Charles from a previous relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
Robert Shaw was of Scottish descent on his father’s side.
Deep, gruff voice and demeanor
Robert Shaw Facts
- He was 12 years old when his father committed suicide.
- He once served as a teacher at Glenhow Preparatory School in Saltburn-by-the-Sea in the North Riding of Yorkshire.
- Alongside Paul Scofield, Wendy Hiller, Leo McKern, Orson Welles, and Susannah York, Robert Shaw co-starred as King Henry VIII in the 1966 historical drama film A Man for All Seasons. For this performance, he was nominated for an Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actor” and a Golden Globe Award for “Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture” while he won the Kansas City Film Critics Circle Award and the National Board of Review Award in the “Best Supporting Actor” category.
- Robert Shaw was an alcoholic.
- He authored novels such as The Hiding Place, The Sun Doctor, The Flag, and A Card from Morocco.
Featured Image by Official Films / archive.org / CC BY-SA 4.0